4.26.2005

AP Steals from Raw Story

Dear Associated Press:

I couldn't help but notice your 24-hour-late reporting of the Secret Service's release of James Guckert's White House briefing-room access documents. I found it especially puzzling that, after saying almost nothing on the matter, you gave no credit to the news organization who broke it: Raw Story. Do you steal regularly or is this just an isolated incident? When I report stories that I read on your wire service, should I include the caveat that they may have been stolen from elsewhere?

Rob [surname]


UPDATE: From a reporter:
I doubt AP 'stole' from Raw Story. If the stories read the same, then yeah. More likely, AP just was a day late and confirmed the release of the records themselves, which ain't stealing. It's just 'getting beat.'

Not to be a pill, but you might want to think twice before accusing a news org of plagiarism. It's a damn serious charge, and unless it's obvious -- like, the verbiage is exactly the same -- it's generally not the case. An AP reporter may well have found out about the records release through Raw Story, but as long as he or she did his or her own reporting, it's OK, and they're under no obligation to credit Raw Story with breaking the news.
Is my ass red or what? Anyway, AP never responded to our query. If you were them, would you?

No comments: